by Braden Kelley
Innovations don’t have to be complicated to be impactful. They just need to deliver enough additional value that existing solutions become widely replaced, or flipped around, for the new solution to be widely adopted.
Recently I have been seeing a new simple, yet elegant, solution driving around the streets of Seattle.
It’s pictured in the photo above and it is quite simply the delivery of a temporary license for a newly purchased vehicle that can be printed and installed in a license plate holder in the same way that the eventual traditional license plate will be.
Now, perhaps your state or country already has this, but for me, every vehicle I have ever purchased was instantly defiled by a piece of paper and tape or tape residue that could be difficult remove after a couple months baking in the sun (especially in the summer).
This instant cheapening of a brand new vehicle is now a thing of the past!
Some may say that this is not really that big of a deal because you’re just moving the temporary registration from the back window to now live in the license plate frame, but there are several tangible benefits for multiple parties from this seemingly small change:
- Car Owner – improved aesthetics – the car just looks better!
- Car Owner – improved safety from increased visibility while driving
- State and Car Owner – increased toll revenue so everyone is paying their fair share
- Car Owner – improved safety – easier to identify hit and run drivers
- Police – improved safety – easier to identify vehicle during traffic stops
- Car Owner – improved convenience – easier to quickly find license number when it’s requested
What is your favorite simple innovation that you’ve seen or experienced recently?
Sign up here to join 17,000+ leaders getting Human-Centered Change & Innovation Weekly delivered to their inbox every week.