GUEST POST from Arlen Meyers, M.D.
Almost every person that has experienced the US sickcare system has been frustrated by the lack of data interoperability. We are all paying the costs, now pegged at $4.1T. About $1T of the tab is waste.
Larry Ellison, the CEO of Oracle, is the latest person who says he wants his company to fix that.
Like those that preceded him, he will face:
- Stakeholders that don’t play nice with each other
- An enormous cost
- Trying to create a VAST business model
- Inconsistent technical standards
- The lack of a national patient unique identifier system
- Privacy and confidentiality issues
- A highly regulated system for patients sharing their data
- End user resistance to dissemination and implementation
- Connecting the kaleidoscope of the disparate elements of the US sickcare system of systems, like the VA, safety net hospitals, rural hospitals, academic centers and DOD facilities
- Combining financial data with clinical data
- Combining research data with clinical care data
- Varying levels of data maturity in the system
- Accessing data that is created outside of traditional medical service facilities
- The growth of retail sickcare and sicktech companies
- Harnessing data from the internet of medical things
- Integrating artificial intelligence to not only achieve the quintuple aim, but also create shareholder value that will conflict with one another
- Winning the “cloud wars”
- The lack of trust and growing sickcare technoskepticism
- The Cerner VA implentation FUBAR halo effects.
- Changing the EMR “SHIT” -single most hated information technology- to a whole product solution
- Accessing unstructured data on social media sites
- Governance of the enterprise
- Regulatory oversight of software as a medical device and digital therapeutics
- Low levels of sickcare professional and patient data literacy
- Barriers to international data sharing in a era of pandemics and required rapid response
- Fax facts
- Push back from patients who want to be paid for their data
- Decentralized clinical trial data issues
- Leaderpreneurship skills
- UI/UX Will he eliminate passwords?
Wouldn’t it be nice if Sickcare USA, Inc. could provide you with the same experience as your bank ATM system?
Is Larry really the smartest person or just in the wrong room?
Image Credit: Pixabay
Sign up here to get Human-Centered Change & Innovation Weekly delivered to your inbox every week.