by Braden Kelley
When it comes to doing great customer experience work on behalf of HCLTech clients, personas are foundational. But it is harder to create meaningful, actionable personas than people might think.
An Introduction to Personas
Personas are a key part of bringing the customer experience, and the customer, to life. Personas set the stage for the activity that most people associate with customer experience work – the journey map. But for most organizations, not all customers have the same journey. So, it is important to identify the relevant and distinct customer groupings that it is critical to build personas for. Personas serve a number of important functions:
- Validate customer segments are sufficiently different from each other
- Capture key details about each customer segment on a single page
- Serve as a quick reference for the chosen customer segment(s)
- Visualize each customer segment as a representative individual people can relate to
- Empower people to put themselves in the customer’s shoes (and ideally – their mindset)
For optimal results, personas should be built AFTER conducting research to better understand the customer’s experience via interviews, focus groups, and panels directly with customers across a range of customer sizes and types to understand where their journeys, needs and expectations diverge.
Image credits: Pexels
Sign up here to join 17,000+ leaders getting Human-Centered Change & Innovation Weekly delivered to their inbox every week.